Our Keto Authentic Italian Meatballs in Tomato Sauce are easy to make, juicy and full of flavour. These traditional meatballs or “polpette” are made with a mixture of ground beef, pork, parmesan-reggiano and fresh parsley. To make these keto, we replace regular breadcrumbs with homemade breadcrumbs using Carbonaut Keto Bread.
In this recipe, we use Carbonaut Keto Bread to make breadcrumbs. Here in Canada, this keto bread is currently available at Costco. However, you can also buy this online! We like to keep this bread on hand to make keto recipes and for a quick meals. Feel free to substitute this with any keto bread that you prefer. Keep in mind that this may change the nutrition info. Almond flour may also work but we haven’t tested this ourselves. You may need to adjust the amount of almond flour needed (less or more) depending on the texture of the meatball.
To make the breadcrumbs, we toast the bread and then pulse it in a food processor or blender to make the crumbs. It’s that easy!
Since this is a large batch of meatballs, we prefer to bake these in the oven and then simmer them in the sauce. If you prefer, you can pan fry the meatballs in olive oil until brown on all sides. Once the meatballs have browned, simmer them in the sauce for approx. 20-30 minutes until tender.
For the tomato sauce, we recommend using homemade sugar-free marinara sauce or keto-friendly store bought sauce. Rao’s Marinara sauce is VERY good (especially for a store-bought sauce!), easy to find and has only 5g of net carbs per 1/2 cup. You can easily buy this online or it is available at most grocery stores here in western Canada, including Costco.
Keto Authentic Italian Meatballs
- 750 Grams Ground Pork
- 500 Grams Ground Beef or Veal
- 3/4 Cup Parmesan Reggiano Grated.
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley Finely Chopped.
- 1/2 Cup Keto Breadcrumbs 2 Slices of Carbonaut Keto Bread Toasted and Pulsed Into Breadcrumbs with a Food Processor or Blender.
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced.
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt To Taste.
- 3/4 Tsp Pepper To Taste.
- 1 Jar Rao's Marinara Sauce (or Homemade) 770 ml
- Preheat Oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients except for the marinara sauce.
- Once the ingredients are combined, use your hands to form the meatball into the size of a golf ball. Makes approx. 40 meatballs.
- Place the formed meatballs onto a lined baking sheet.
- Once all of the meatballs are formed, place into a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the marinara sauce in a large skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking, place them in the sauce and simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with a side salad and enjoy!
- 525 Calories
- 7.5g Carbohydrates
- 2.7g Fiber
- 35g Fat
- 43.4g Protein