My family loves to make this salad during the warm summer months or for special occasions. Our Keto Russian Carrot “Korean” Salad is a classic recipe that’s found all over the former Soviet Union. This is a simple recipe to make and it is the perfect side dish to any meal!
This is a dish that is popular all over the former Soviet Union. Koryo-saram (ethnic Koreans living in former Soviet Union) created this dish as a variant to traditional Kimchi. Baechu cabbage was not available to make traditional kimchi, so they used grated carrot instead. Although this salad is unknown to those living in South Korea, this dish is popular throughout the former Soviet Union. The salad is named Morkovcha, which is a play on the Russian word for carotts (morkovka). The recipe below is my family’s take on this traditional dish. At home we serve this for large family dinners or special occasions.
To get this recipe just right, it is important to slice the carrots into thin long pieces. If the pieces are too thick, the carrot will be too crunchy. Use a thin Julienne slicer for best results.
This recipe is meant to have a strong garlic flavor. We typically use 3-4 cloves, but you can adjust this depending on your taste. I’ve also seen various recipes where they use onion. Our family is never used onion but it does sound like a nice touch! Keep in mind that if you do add onion, the carb count will increase a bit.
Russian Carrot “Korean” Salad (Корейская Морковь)
- 500 Grams Carrots Cut into thin long pieces. Tip: Use a thin Julienne slicer for best results.
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves Minced. To Taste.
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2-3 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sweetener Stevia, Erythritol, Monk Fruit Sweetener, etc.
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper To Taste.
- 1/2 Tsp Salt To Taste.
- Sesame Seeds Garnish, Optional.
- Combine grated carrots with all ingredients (except for the sesame seeds) and mix together in a large bowl.
- Allow to marinate for a few hours or overnight for best results.
- Just before serving, top with sesame seeds if desired.
- 117 Calories
- 9g Carbohydrates
- 2.5g Fiber
- 9.2g Fat
- 0.9g Protein